New technologies are increasingly present in schools. However, not everyone welcomes the use of tablets and even mobile phones in classrooms. In some countries they have prohibited students from using mobile phones in classrooms before the age of 15, while a current with increasing weight, proposes the use of all these devices for the educational benefit of children. We are talking about M-learning.
M-learning (Mobile Learning) is a teaching methodology based on the use of specific applications for mobiles and other small electronic devices. We explain what exactly it consists of and what are the benefits of M-learning in your child's education.
Many teachers bet for joining the new technologies instead of fighting a battle against them. The use of educational applications through mobile phones and other small electronic devices is known as M-learning, a growing trend in many schools.
Many parents, concerned about children's dependence on mobile phones, wonder if it is really good for schools to use this system. The experts list all the benefits of this pedagogical stream:
- Communication between colleagues. Mobile phones facilitate communication between students. As long as it is done in a responsible way, it allows them greater accessibility. Questions can be consulted and help with homework.
- They facilitate student participation. Mobiles offer greater facility for students to participate in an assignment. For example, it is very useful for group work, especially since communication between them is facilitated.
- Improves communication with the school center. Children feel closer to both the teacher and the school by having a direct communication channel that they control. In this way, they feel more integrated and the relationship improves.
Many teachers already use this system. For example:
- To send their students homework or correct them.
- Encouraging them to finish their homework or encouraging study through attractive applications.
- They also get students participate in online activities, such as a micro-story contest or the development of an online story together.
- Through eBooks, students feel more incentivized towards reading.
- Video classes. Students can participate in a class from home if they are ill. And they will always be able to review and listen to the teacher's explanation again.
- Digital games. What is known as 'gamification' is nothing more than the use of educational games to help children motivate themselves towards learning.
- The use of academic social networks. They are social networks where teachers and students participate. The objective is to improve communication and relationship of all.
Obviously, the use of mobile phones in class it also has its downsides. Even the most important defenders of M-learning recognize that this system can also have all these negative repercussions on children if they are not able to use the M-learning system responsibly:
- Loss of attention Mobile phones are ultimately 'a temptation' for children, and they often get their attention diverted.
- Extreme dependency. Children who are not capable of 'stopping the use' of the mobile phone, can become dependent. No one doubts this danger and how negative it can be for a child to fall into this terrible dependency.
- Cyberbullying increase. The greater the use of mobile phones in schools, the greater the risk of a case of cyberbullying. Of course, in this case, support would be necessary in terms of anti-bullying education in the classrooms.
The defenders of this system of learning in the classroom recall that it is not a substitute for the classical teaching method, but to complement it. But they are also aware of the risk posed for tweens and teens using cell phones in class. Teachers who opt for this teaching method should also be trained in the use of M-learning to avoid all these possible disadvantages as much as possible.
You can read more articles similar to Benefits of M-learning in the education of children, in the category of New Technologies on site.